Medical Laboratory Sciences

Medical Lab Sciences icon, microscope in a circle

“Medical laboratory science professionals, often called medical laboratorians, are vital healthcare detectives, uncovering and providing laboratory information from laboratory analyses that assist physicians in patient diagnosis and treatment, as well as in disease monitoring or prevention (maintenance of health).” (American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science, 2019)




Programs in Medical Laboratory Sciences at UNT

Undergraduate Program:

Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Sciences, BSMLS


What courses do I need to earn a Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Sciences?

Please refer to our medical laboratory science timeline for an example of the traditional path a student takes in this program. This plan may be different for each student and it is important to see your advisor to ensure you are taking the correct courses needed.

What is unique about the medical laboratory science program at UNT?

Through UNT’s Medical Laboratory Science program, students complete a minimum of 88 hours at UNT prior to completing 12-16 months of clinical training at an affiliated school of medical laboratory science.

After completing clinical training (a minimum of 32 credit hours) and course work, students are eligible for graduation with a Bachelor’s of Science in Medical Laboratory Sciences from UNT. At that time, students are able to take the MLS examination provided by The American Society of Clinical Pathologists Board of Certification (ASCP BOC). Passing this exam results in a certification of Medical Laboratory Science.

To learn more about UNT’s Medical Laboratory Science program, visit their website.

Is this a good major for me if I want to go to medical school?

If your goal is to go to medical school, this is not the right major to help you do so. This program is designed to educate and certify individuals who want to start a career in medical laboratory science. Medical laboratory scientists perform tests on blood, tissue and body fluids. They typically do not directly interact with patients in the way that a doctor would.   

Are the clinical programs that you listed the only ones that I can go to?

UNT has an affiliation with the following programs:

Comanche County Memorial Hospital (School of Medical Technology), Lawton, OK

Baylor Scott and White, Temple

Tarleton State University at All Saints Hospital, Fort Worth

Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston

United Regional Medical Health Care System Wichita Falls (School of Medical Technology)

Parkview School of Medical Laboratory Science, Pueblo, CO

If you are interested in attending a different clinical training program, you may contact the MLS coordinator to see if that is a possibility. Please note that the program must be accredited through the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS).

Where do medical laboratory professionals work?

Medical Laboratory Professionals can work in a variety of settings including: blood banks, coroner offices, health maintenance organizations, independent laboratories serving hospitals and physicians, insurance companies, laboratories at hospitals or clinics, pharmaceutical firms, physicians’ offices or research laboratories.

Do you have to apply for a clinical program?

Yes. Each program has an application process, which includes an application, letters of recommendation, official transcripts from each school you have attended, a degree statement (you will request this from the MLS coordinator) and either an interview or an essay.

Is there a chance that I won’t get into one? 

Yes. It is a competitive process as each program is limited to a set number of openings. So, it is not enough to be able to check off that you have completed all minimum admission standards. You must be at the top of the applicants in the applicant pool. Since the number of applicants varies from application cycle to application cycle, there is no guarantee as to how competitive you are in a given cycle.

What happens if I don’t get into a clinical program?

If you are not admitted, then you have a few options.

  1. You can change your major to either BA or BS in Biology and pursue Medical Laboratory Science as a 4+1 student. This just means that you have your bachelor’s degree. Although you would not have a major in Medical Laboratory Sciences, you would still be able to receive a certificate of Medical Laboratory Sciences.
  2. You could apply for the next cycle. In the meantime, you could work on your overall and/or science GPA.
  3. You could apply for the medical laboratory technician program at Tarleton. This results in an associate’s degree and it allows students to reapply to Tarleton's medical laboratory sciences program.

Note: regardless of which option you choose, you should talk with the MLS coordinator to ensure you are on the right path.

Can I be a part-time student?

No. Clinical training is run on a cohort model, so everyone will take their classes together.

Do the clinical programs provide housing?

No. Although, some programs keep a list of students that are interested in getting a roommate.

Do I get paid while I am at clinicals?

No. Unfortunately, clinicals are not paid.

What kind of financial aid is available during this program?

Receiving financial aid while you are at clinicals is definitely possible, although it is a bit complicated. You are still a UNT student, even though you are not physically on campus. As such, you qualify for the same financial aid that you would normally. However, those receiving VA benefits have some limitations as to which programs they can choose. No matter how you finance your education, you will need to discuss this with the MLS coordinator to determine what steps must be taken. 

What scholarships are available?

General scholarships are offered through each department and college across campus. Here you will find the scholarship opportunities for the College of Science and the Department of Biological Sciences. 

I am an international student.  Can I major in Medical Laboratory Science?

Yes, however, depending on your situation, you may have limitations on the clinical programs that you can choose.

I have international math and/or science coursework.  Will my credits be accepted?

This varies from program to program. Please speak with the MLS coordinator about your situation to see how this impacts you.

I have my associate’s in MLT.  Can any of those courses be used for this major?


Who can help me create a plan for this career path?

For more information about our program, please contact one of our advisors. 

If you are a current student at UNT, please visit to schedule an advising appointment.  You may make an appointment with any College of Science advisor.  However, anything pertaining to clinicals should be handled by the MLS coordinator.

If you are not a student at UNT yet, please e-mail

Medical Laboratory Science Program



Nick Corbin Productions. “I Am a Medical Laboratory Scientist.” YouTube, 2013,

Becoming A Clinical Laboratory Professional. (n.d.). Retrieved from