Audiology, Speech-Language Pathology

Audiology, speech language pathology Audiologist vs. Speech-Language Pathologist

Audiologist: "Audiologists are health-care professionals who provide patient-centered care in the prevention, identification, diagnosis, and evidence-based treatment of hearing, balance, and other auditory disorders for people of all ages. Hearing and balance disorders are complex with medical, psychological, physical, social, educational, and employment implications. Audiologists provide professional and personalized services to minimize the negative impact of these disorders, leading to improved outcomes and quality of life" (American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2018).

Speech-Language Pathologist: A Speech-language pathologist is someone who works "to prevent, assess, diagnose, and treat speech, language, social communication, cognitive-communication, and swallowing disorders in children and adults" (American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2018). 

Programs in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology at UNT

Undergraduate Programs

     Bachelor of Science, B.S., in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology
     Minor in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology

Graduate Programs

     Master of Science, MS-SLP, in Speech-Language Pathology
     Doctor of Audiology, Au.D.
     Doctorate, Ph.D., in Health Services Research with concentration areas of Audiology and SLP


Will the B.S. in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology allow me to practice as an Audiologist or Speech-Language Pathologist?

No, the Au.D. is required to be a practicing audiologist. The M.S. in Speech-Language Pathology is required to be a licensed Speech-Language Pathologist. The Bachelor's in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology is a pre-professional degree for persons wishing to pursue graduate study in speech-language pathology and audiology.

Do I need a B.S. in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology to earn an M.S. in Speech-Language Pathology or Doctor of Audiology, Au.D.?

No, a Bachelor's Degree in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology is not required for the Master's of Science in Speech-Language Pathology or the Doctor of Audiology at UNT. However, if you have earned a bachelor's degree in another field, you must take leveling courses to be considered for admission to the SLP Master's program. Click on the above link to learn more about this path.
Note: Leveling courses are not required for the Doctor of Audiology degree.

What courses do I need to complete the B.S. in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology?

Click here to view a four-year plan for the B.S. degree. 
Note: Each student's four year plan is different, especially if dual credit or AP credit will apply towards degree requirements. Please visit with an advisor/counselor to further discuss your individual four-year plan.

What are the characteristics of a strong application to graduate-level programs in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology?

Admission to graduate programs in Audiology and Speech-Language are quite competitive due to the limited number of seats that are available. Below you will find areas of a strong application. Read more about UNT's program statistics.

Competitive characteristics GPA, GRE, Work Experience, Community Service, University Organization, Research labs


Does the Department of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology offer scholarships?

Yes! For more information about scholarships within our department, please visit the following webpage.

Who can help me create a plan for these career paths?

For additional information about a B.S. in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology, please contact our advisor in the College of Health and Public Service: 940-565-4115 or To schedule an appointment, please visit

If you have a bachelor's degree in another field, visit the ASLP website for more information and email questions to


American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (2018). Learn about the CSD professions: audiology. Retrieved from

American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (2018). About speech-language pathology. Speech-Language Pathologists. Retrieved from

Bureau of Labor Statistics (2018). Speech-language pathologists. Occupational Outlook Handbook. Retrieved from